Have you seen the latest Megan Nielsen pattern releases? They come in regular and extended sizes, hence the addition of the word “curve” to the extended-size pattern names (you know, for us curvy girls who need a little more room for “the girls”). This particular blog post is all about the Jarrah Curve, one of the first extended-size patterns in Megan’s collection, and one of the first I’ve purchased from her.
I’ve been following Megan’s blog for many months, during which time I’ve had the joy of observing several sew-alongs for her regular pattern line. I was never able to participate, however, because her patterns didn’t come in my size. So when she announced that new sizing was in development, I was over the moon. Initially, she re-released a few of her older patterns in the new format. This was exciting, but not necessarily for me because I wasn’t interested in any of those particular patterns. And then it happened: In one e-mail, I was introduced to four brand-new, wardrobe-building patterns in my size, and I immediately loved them all. And that NEVER happens!
I purchased all four of the new patterns that night. And since the patterns are digital, I was able to download and print them immediately. Why waste time, right? Then all I had to do was wait for Megan to start her fantastic sew-alongs for the new patterns. (I certainly could’ve attempted to make the clothes on my own, what with my decades of sewing experience, but in this case I wanted to follow along with Megan in case something went wrong and I needed a little handholding — and also because she does such an outstanding job of explaining every step with photos and clear descriptions. She truly sets everyone up for success.) While I was waiting for the schedule, I purchased a ton of fabric for each pattern so I’d be good and ready. And once the sew-along began, I made sure to keep up with each of Megan’s helpful posts, which arrived daily in my e-mail.
The Jarrah Curve was the first of the four new patterns in Megan’s sew-along schedule, and for this project I chose an Art Gallery Fabric knit called Pastoral Magenta, which I purchased from my favorite fabric store, Clementine, to make my toile (for the uninitiated, that’s just a fancy sewing term for an early version of a finished garment). I wanted the toile to be a wearable one, so I was careful with hems and coverstitching. The one thing I forgot to do was measure the sleeves. As a result, they turned out too long in my first attempt. As curvy as this pattern is, I didn’t have enough room to move my sleeves up to the seam line (because I have big biceps), so I took 2 inches off the finished hem of the sleeves. This changed the look of the split sleeves, but at least I learned something in the process. Measurements noted. And here it is!
From looking at these pictures, I can see the need for additional adjustments to improve the fit. And those tweaks will be no problem because this was a very easy sew. I love the lines of the design, and I love that this pretty top can be made in a variety of fabrics. This is so comfy that I can definitely see a few more of these Jarrah Curve tops in my future.